Icyman's Biodiversity Tourney (TIER 2)

Here is where you can start, join or learn about Community Tournaments, a great way to earn cards and prizes.

Icyman's Biodiversity Tourney (TIER 2)

Postby Icyman2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Introduction
Files nowadays are like: buncles undeads merc kingdom poop kingdom... Not only are those files bland and designer dictated (who wants to be dictated?), they also have horrible weaknesses to specific files, subtypes, or just single cards that as a subtype they will never be able to overcome. Will undeads ever beat ex mermaid?
In addition, I sometimes see people using 3x rasam ss. This not only makes your ss very predicable, it also fails against things like fairy blessing or just open or close damage bigs. In addition, chaining the same soul skills is a generally bad idea because they usually do not combo with one other. For example, triggering 2x rasam ss is a bad thing for a file like serpent. (There are some exceptions like gafc and rfa but we'll ignore that for now especially since I personally do not like using a second gafc in lawtia rush). Triggering violet to deplete sp to set up assassin (stops returns, open damage, or iczering into assassin since you get drained of your spare sp) is a great combo.
What we should do when constructing files is break free of the prison designers have put us in and use cards from all different subtypes (or even spheres) that work together in order to achieve a winning goal. We should also spread out our soul skills so that they do different things that are effective versus different files. And then we can overcome polarized matchups in which the match is decided as soon as the first cards are played.

Slots Left
Main 4
Alternate 3

Time
Saturday, February 23rd 9:00 pm EST
I'm going to be strict about the time. If you aren't there 5 minutes after the start time, you will be replaced and/or disqualified.

Restrictions (Allowed)
Souls:
Only 1* 2* 3* cards
Not more than 1 soul can be in these categories:
Buffing -- both permanent and temporary
Engage--any soul with engage enemy unit effect
SP manipulation--both giving you sp and draining opponent sp (sphere counts as sp)
Cemetery recursion--any sort of returning cards from your cemetery or from your removed from play
Removal--return unit to cardfile or send unit to cemetery
Damage--anything that does x damage, subtracts hp-x, or max hp-x. Set hp to 0 is under misc category.
Damage2--anything that does x damage, subtracts hp-x, or max hp-x. Set hp to 0 is under misc category.
Revival--revive friendly unit souls
Misc--anything that does not fit into above categories
Soul skills that do both (e.g. dalos revives and does damage) counts towards both types.
Damage souls are effectively allowed twice because a lot of soul skills do damage in addition to some other effect.
Cait sith counts as either cem recursion or sp manipulation (your choice).

Grims:
All grims

Units:
No unit over level 6 (level 6 is okay but level 7 is not).
No non-shielded unit can be of the same subtype 1 or subtype 2 as any other (shielded or non-shielded) unit in your file. You can have as many copies of one card as you wish. You can have as many great spirit or unknown/none subtype as you wish.

Notes and examples:
You can effectively play starter files--from any set--as long as the Soul Skills fit the criteria listed above and you have the fm cards from them.
You can have 3x shielded elite fencer and 3x shielded owl sage as those are all shielded. You cannot have 3x shielded elite fencer and 3x non-shielded magic greatsword as your non-shielded magic greatsword unit has the same "wizard kingdom" subtype as your shielded elite fencer. [You can also have 3x shielded elite fencer, 3x shielded owl sage, and 3x mermaid soldier -human- in your file.]
You can have 3x ex wizard soldier in your file, but not 1x ex wizard soldier and 1x elite fencer as those are different units of the same subtype.
You can have 3x shade 1x salamander 1x dryad and whatever other spirit (except oeste) in your file.
So effectively the only time you can have multiple types of units with the same subtype in your file is when they are great spirits or are all starter cards.

Banned
Diondora
Princess of the Key / Emana
Ex Mermaid
Oeste
Ex Brahma
Timestop
Brave Hero / Dilate
Urgrant

Tourney Specifics
Double elimination: You have to be defeated twice to be eliminated except in the final match.
Final is best of 1. That means that the player from the higher bracket does not have an advantage during the final match. It is "winners takes all."
You can switch files and opens in between matches at any time. You are responsible for any rule violation resulting in changing your file.
If a user's file is deemed invalid, he will be disqualified from the match but not from the tourney.
If a user is caught cheating the system, he will be disqualified from the tourney.

Prizes
1st – 50 Gran, 18 Point Cards
2nd – 18 Point Cards
Runner’s Up (3rd to 5th) – 5 Point Cards
All Other Participants - 3 Point Cards
Alternates that did not participate - 2 Point Cards

How to Sign Up
Just post here saying if you wish to be a main participant or an alternate.

Main
khiruki
kouseo
xideru
aoyami
ethikx
indignatio
lucighost
thinevel

Alt
gabotheplaya
Last edited by Icyman2 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:37 am, edited 34 times in total.
Icyman2

Re: Icyman's Biodiversity Tourney (TIER 2)

Postby sunbunman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:02 pm

sign me up.
Falkow {Water | Fluidity = Elusion} ∈ Win
sunbunman

Postby hexagram » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:06 pm

sign me up main. I notice the prize is slightly higher than standard.

'Don't worry be happy' Bob Marley
Too much negatively be happy and :)

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

free player till level 190. If I can do it so can you.
hexagram

Postby Khiruki » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

Alright. I'll sign up for this.
ImageImage
Khiruki

Postby Kouseo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Guess I'll actually put in an effort for my file this time around.
Kouseo

Postby xideruS » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:42 pm

sign me as main
xideruS

Postby Aoi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 am

Sign me up as well for main.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby hexagram » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:57 am

I suggest you also advertise for assistants as you really need atleast 2 - may aswell get 3 if you can

'Don't worry be happy' Bob Marley
Too much negatively be happy and :)

Also new guys Worthings starter replays Remember use starter switcher at lvl10 to get all 4 starters

free player till level 190. If I can do it so can you.
hexagram

Postby Jazzock » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

I think he's automatically put me down as an assistant lol.
My alts are ready :lol:
Self proclaimed user of weirdness, one of the few crazy people to actually use a pure sorceress file...

Jazzock

Postby Ethikx » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I'll join this merry festival.
Ethikx

Next

Return to Community Tournaments