Let's talk re-launch with Logress

Everything that doesn't go anywhere else.

Let's talk re-launch with Logress

Postby Logress » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:59 am

Hey all, I was inspired to to head to the forums by kudaotai's excellent post and the conversation we ended up having over email that followed it.

kudaotai's thread:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=14819

There are two parts to the relaunch, changing it - and timing it. As you know by my earlier announcement, timing is currently planned for next week.

Changing it - the following things are being worked on
-simplifying the main page and focusing on making the game itself clear to the casual KS'er easily. Links for more detailed stuff.
-highlighting the early bird system a bit, rewording all the rewards so their easier to read.
-playable demo (actually a tutorial) in-engine
-lower goal for earlier PayPal button
-other stuff we can talk about in this thread

The timing - actually my more immediate concern - is a bit tricker. Faeria got us good launching two days after cancellation, and waiting until they're done puts us squarely in new-console launch season. Not sure how that will effect regular Kickstarters backing patterns, but it basically means no press for us until after the holidays -- and the press we've worked to line up would go up in smoke. The thing about next week is it's square in the middle of Faeria's run, when excitement for the KS is generally at a lull (may not be true if they happen to meet their funding goal during the week, though). Anyone who watches small gaming kickstarters have any insight?
"Scissors are overpowered. Rock is fine." -Paper
Logress

Re: Let's talk re-launch with Logress

Postby gabotheplaya » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:46 pm

whoa...

A loggers post.

All i really want to include into the discussion is someone doing overhead strategy vids (not mechanics, not narrated gameplay) to get people to see some of the meat of the game without feeling "in medias res" of all things.

that is all.

thank you.

*bow*
ImageImage
gabotheplaya

Postby Muklas » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:04 pm

I hope this goes well, even though I am incapable of contributing.
Ha ha, I'm using the shaving foams!
Muklas

Postby Callonia » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Good luck Logress.
Callonia

Postby kudaotai » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:02 am

Sticky the thread please at least for now

In terms of gaming console effect on the smaller game crowd, I'm actually blurry about it as I always study direct competition of same genre/league KS. What you can do now Logress is look for Ouya effect on other games KS launched within Jul 10th 2012-> Aug 9th 2012. For others who want to help study the trend, go to this great "stalking" site. I did follow Ouya progress before, I can see Ouya related games are booming, but unfortunately I did not watch other genre that time... :? So zero prediction on this for now.

You might want to consider Indiegogo as a backup plan as some audience there are not even aware of KS existence, or considerably a different crowd.

Something to inspire you Failure on 1st try vs Success on 2nd try

gabotheplaya wrote:All i really want to include into the discussion is someone doing overhead strategy vids (not mechanics, not narrated gameplay) to get people to see some of the meat of the game without feeling "in medias res" of all things.

kudaotai wrote:To make thing spicier, get any experienced player to do commentary vid of actual battle with all the drama and emotion of joy, rage, scream and orgasmic moan. This will make alteil look exciting for newbies. It is quite effective to gain playerbase, seen it works in other MMO

Good idea Gabo but better if combined with my suggestion before. ;th2 . That "someone" should be talking about his file strategy while playing against opponent, well he should really sound like a player that's it.

Ps:
kudaotai wrote:I have a lot to talk about premium features and your stretch goal in detail, but I’ll do it later.

I'm writing something now, it's fancy idea, at least for me. Kinda :? when premium features are not explained in KS page tho. Nobody know what they'll get from premium.
UnderDog Battle
Hard Game

FOR REAL MEN
Kids Stay Away
kudaotai

Postby Logress » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:22 am

There is a details page, you get to it if you click on any of the reward graphics, which explains everything. Need to make that clearer.

I've noticed that some backers new to the game, since this is a f2p, are looking for a tier that best approximates "buying the game" which a lot of them have equated to the premium account.

Now's a good time to think about the fact that the premium account isn't premium enough, and what we can do to change that for Alteil Horizons. An obvious one would be, "Use Marketplace with no restrictions at LV1" since we'll likely have to have some kind of restriction on trading for low level accounts that have never purchased anything, to prevent botting.
Logress

Postby gabotheplaya » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:24 am

kudaotai wrote:
gabotheplaya wrote:All i really want to include into the discussion is someone doing overhead strategy vids (not mechanics, not narrated gameplay) to get people to see some of the meat of the game without feeling "in medias res" of all things.

kudaotai wrote:To make thing spicier, get any experienced player to do commentary vid of actual battle with all the drama and emotion of joy, rage, scream and orgasmic moan. This will make alteil look exciting for newbies. It is quite effective to gain playerbase, seen it works in other MMO

Good idea Gabo but better if combined with my suggestion before. ;th2 . That "someone" should be talking about his file strategy while playing against opponent, well he should really sound like a player that's it.

I think you might have imagined a plain old match replay...

I don't want to namedrop names since its something more applicable to Hearthstone more than anything, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmckLpHiwJc

That's more of what i mean. Its not a match, its showcasing how things work together more than anything else.

"i have 3 rapier fencers of regus and 3 sylphs, i can potentially kill 3 things before anything can react which would be effective against wall-building refess."

"with a mage knight in play alongside other WK units, i can potentially wipe an entire enemy field before any of them get a turn."

"using Pincess Key / Emmana and lvl 3 Mystere as a two-unit combo, i can potentially lock down an enemy field by returning a card every turn for 2 SP as long as he drops mostly lvl 3 and up units, better even if the enemy has no open phase and start phase threats."
ImageImage
gabotheplaya

Postby cheongzewei » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:29 am

show me.

card per cost.
In many numbers and less words, not pure words.

Do that, and I'll spread the word.
Perfect 9
ImageImage
cheongzewei

Postby kudaotai » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Logress wrote:There is a details page, you get to it if you click on any of the reward graphics, which explains everything. Need to make that clearer.

Exactly :!:
Logress wrote:Now's a good time to think about the fact that the premium account isn't premium enough, and what we can do to change that for Alteil Horizons.

While you're at it, personally I want to see personalized performance report as a premium user and daily statistic. I spent few hours writing my premium suggestion but its too long to read so I made pictures instead ;th2 see below. Picture can describe my thousand of words. Flashy feature I would say.

personalized performance report for fanciness

Daily statistic for busy man, so I know when to play and when to rest

and more premium feature suggestion to come tomorrow.

cheongzewei wrote:show me.
card per cost.
In many numbers and less words, not pure words.
Do that, and I'll spread the word.

How exactly telling people they have to pay to play while AH monetary model is F2P? That's is not a favorable for business publicity. Unless you're spreading words to cash-ready player only... Some things are not meant to be public before KS funding succeed, I can live with that, so can you ;th2 .
UnderDog Battle
Hard Game

FOR REAL MEN
Kids Stay Away
kudaotai

Postby Logress » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah, that enhanced game stats thing might be doable. Definitely a big win for current player base, I wonder how interesting it sounds to new players?

The reason I can't give numbers on monitzation is I don't know them myself. In a lot of ways monitazation depends on how the kickstarter does slash/ how much money we can raise from publishers and one other deal we're working on. For example, if we can make drafting, we can try to make money that way, if we dont have the capital to program drafting, then we cant.

here are some basic facts:
-We're going to do mobile, so pricing has to be mobile-friendly and that means real value in a dollar
-there is going to be a marketplace, so no matter what we charge, to some extent real prices will be determined by the users - at least for commons. A better question is probably not "how much will cards cost" but "how many good pauper decks will be viable", since as long as it's possible to make good pauper decks, the users will essentially just decide how much they will cost.
Logress

Next

Return to Alteil General Discussion