Mermaids/Deep Ones

Strategies and Card File Construction

Re: Mermaids/Deep Ones

Postby Gojirazard » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:42 pm

gadu wrote:All these people starting the match with Justice is a tremendous mistake in my humble opinion.

Why do you feel it's a tremendous mistake? It's the fastest way to drop Mermaids into cemetery for a Deep Ones exclusive file, which is what I was playing. Without a way to drop the Mermaids, the file really can't run.
Gojirazard

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Deep Ones exclusive is something was no one would ever even consider before Justice. You used to just play a few mermaids, and then play some deep ones.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby Gojirazard » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

GonFreeces31 wrote:Deep Ones exclusive is something was no one would ever even consider before Justice. You used to just play a few mermaids, and then play some deep ones.

Even with Justice, it ran out of Mermaids too quickly... Are you talking about Lost One?
Gojirazard

Postby gadu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:26 pm

I saw another Deep One match and I have to make some comments.

Starting the Match with Justice:

This is becoming my pet peve. I know it's really exciting to be able to start spitting out Deep Ones and using their cool abilities from the get go, but please be patient.

You just let your opponent kill FIVE of your units in one turn for free. My friends, please don't cheapen the lives of your lovely, big boobed Mermaids that way.

Look what happened in that last replay in this thread. That guy lost 3 EMANA'S! Emana and any other mermaid could have wrecked that Grim file before any deep one needed to be brought out. I would eat 1,000 Kesaran Pesarans to have 3 copies of Emana. My goodness...

If you're going to use Justice, only bring one copy, because sometimes, the going gets tough and as a last resort, you might need an emergency Mermaid dump. The mentality you should have with this card is: "If I play this card, I'm forfeiting the match," but we hope with a miracle, we might win.

Dropping Shecas on the Field apparently just for fun:

Just like with Mermaids, there is a time to play Deep Ones and a time not to play Deep Ones. Look at his stats! Shecas is essentially a Level 3 Mermaid. So why are people bringing him out to fight L3 units or Great Spirits? Just bring out a L3 Mermaid instead!

I really hate to talk about the "purpose" of cards because the purpose can be whatever you want... but Shecas has a purpose. When you anticipate a Bringer, Dilate, Noze, Zu, Lion Face, whatever... that's when you drop Shecas and let him send them to hell.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby gadu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Some More Notes on the Playstyle of Mermaids and Deep Ones.

I wish I could show replays of a match with my Pure Mermaids vs. Bringer and my Deep Mermaids vs. Bringer side by side.

The VERY few times I managed to beat Bringer & Co. with a pure Mermaid file, I was always down to my last LP. However, with a Deep Mermaid file, I managed to beat Bringer with 5 LP remaining (and I'm talking about 2000 RP players in both cases here).

Why the difference?

To take a chapter from Gon's book, Pure Mermaids can really only be played like Gowen. All of their abilities are offensive DMG dealing skills and they really can't do anything else. And it's unlikely that you're going to beat Gowen at their own game, especially when you're playing the "control" sphere.

But with the addition of the Deep Ones, Mermaids can be played like Falkow. Look at Deep Ones stats. Holy Hell they SUCK! (and that's how you can tell they're clearly Falkow units). BUT, the Deep Ones have all sorts of tricks, they're abilities allow them to control the field, primarily through engage abilities.

So when I was facing Bringer and Dilate on the field at the same time, they never even had a glimmer of hope.

With my Pure Mermaid file, Metia would have been sniped and then the rest would be slaughtered by Bringer & Dilate.

With my Deep Mermaid file, there are just too many different threats that the Gowen player can't neutralize all at once:

1. Metia Buff
2. Lost One in front row guarentees that Bringer or Dilate is getting engaged if they attack.
3. Love in Middle Row guaretees Bringer or Dilate are going to be useless until next turn.
4. Shecas can auto kill Bringer or Dilate and also render them useless until next turn.
5. Emana ensures that Bringer or Dilate act last and can revive the field from open spam.
6. Mermaid Sorceress open skill engages Bringer or Dilate

(Yes, I did manage to build that really strong field presence against THE BRINGER file through very smart early game play that DIDN'T involve using Justice to dump all my Mermaids).

So basically, all the Gowen player could do was sit there and spam Sakura, Arrow, BoF, while Bringer, Dilate, and everything else they summoned from that point on never even had a chance to act, and hence, I finished the match with 5 LP remaining. Curse them for not letting free players show replays for educational purposes.

Final Note:

Mermaids with Deep Ones are not necessarily better than a pure Mermaid file.

Against Mids and Bigs, I believe a Deep Mermaid file is superior.

However, against L3 and ESPECIALLY L2 rushes, a pure Mermaid file is the definitely the way to go.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby GonFreeces31 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Gadu is starting to see the light!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o

gadu wrote:The VERY few times I managed to beat Bringer & Co. with a pure Mermaid file, I was always down to my last LP. However, with a Deep Mermaid file, I managed to beat Bringer with 5 LP remaining (and I'm talking about 2000 RP players in both cases here).

Why the difference?

To take a chapter from Gon's book, Pure Mermaids can really only be played like Gowen. All of their abilities are offensive DMG dealing skills and they really can't do anything else. And it's unlikely that you're going to beat Gowen at their own game, especially when you're playing the "control" sphere.

But with the addition of the Deep Ones, Mermaids can be played like Falkow. Look at Deep Ones stats. Holy Hell they SUCK! (and that's how you can tell they're clearly Falkow units). BUT, the Deep Ones have all sorts of tricks, they're abilities allow them to control the field, primarily through engage abilities.

This is what you call playing to your strengths!!!
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby CainHyde » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Gadu, if you really want to show a video perhaps you can ask someone with premium to duel you in training arena.
...Perhaps...
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Postby Callonia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:47 pm

May I ask what is Justice you guys talking about and if you ever get a replay I'd like to see a good replay of deepones too.
Callonia

Postby NitroDino » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:59 pm

Callonia wrote:May I ask what is Justice you guys talking about and if you ever get a replay I'd like to see a good replay of deepones too.

https://alteil-login.gamepotusa.com/car ... php?id=892
NitroDino

Postby Callonia » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 pm

NitroDino wrote:
Callonia wrote:May I ask what is Justice you guys talking about and if you ever get a replay I'd like to see a good replay of deepones too.

https://alteil-login.gamepotusa.com/car ... php?id=892

Ohh thank you.
Callonia

PreviousNext

Return to Annarose's Sanctum