Path of Sins

Strategies and Card File Construction

Path of Sins

Postby Aoi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:40 pm

So for the entirety of this week's grindfest, I have only been playing Assassins. As such I have grinded a ridiculous amount of battles with them. On the brightside, I can say that Sins are a fun file to play, and I haven't gotten bored of playing them.

After I reached 100 battles I decided to save the image, to show that it is basically a 68% Win rate file, or at least my build, in my hands is. Give or take dc's or the every now and then free wins.

This is the final results of this grind event, of when I finally reached enough eggs to claim seasonal marchare.

I might attempt to write a guide on them, if people are interested.

Due to a good amount of feedback, and my rather high interest in this subtype, it looks like I will actually put in the effort to write a guide for them. For now the guide will describe the Lawtia Rush version I used for the Easter Grind Event. I will test out other variations as I collect more and more of the other sins and cards. ;a39 ;a30

Intro:
So people probably have tried out playing a sin file before, and were met with varying degrees of success, but most likely not enough to actually be called a legitimate file type, that could hold its own against all the various evil files that lie in Folart. I could be wrong, but hey I have not been around that long. For the months that I have been actively playing on Alteil, I can say that sins were quite a rarity to be seen, but there were a good couple of people that were trying to make them work. The main factors for why I believe this file type has way more potential now, is due to the newest additions to the subtype. Marchare, Death Calling, and Ex Lelein, from Ex 11, Set 12, and the Latest Errata.
I first began my journey with the sin file, during the first day of the new errata, due to the rather interesting buff given to a previously almost worthless assassin card. Ex Lelein’s new open skill made me jump at the idea of running the file type. A good number of ideas I used in my sin file came, from my fellow guild member yamyam, since he is the original sin player of our guild.
A little warning though, Sins require a good amount of ex cards to actually stand a chance, and not be a hilarious train wreck. Much like with True God Church this is combined, with the fact that a lot of the good units are Characters, meaning that in addition to the ex, one needs to gather 3* and 4* cards too. So this file type is not easy to acquire, meaning it is not new player friendly at all.

Why should people even bother playing the file?:
One reason is that the file is fun to play, it’s a good choice if somebody feels like taking a break from grinding ridiculously op files, that slowly turn the player into a emotionless robot. Also it really is not a bad file. Sins strength lies in their aggressive start; they have powerful tools early game, such as Lebeau, Marchare, combined with probably the easiest way to make sure Seria ss hits a double drain.

They also have a nice bag of tricks at their disposal now, such as lp destruction, ss immune unit, close skills, good open skills, a variety of interesting action skills, as well as having a powerful tribal atk buffer. A sin file’s greatest fear should be a drawn out battle, they have to end the battle as early as they can, or they will be pushed back and defeated. They simply don’t have the stamina to continue the fight, due to the majority of them having incredibly low hp, with none being a free revival.
Units used in the file:

Main units:
Night Assassin/ Marchare: Marchare is a very strong unit, with 40 atk and 4 agl and 2 rng, so you have a nice strong and fast hitter that can just sit behind the front line. But the most interesting part about her, is that she is a SS immune unit, who can iczer for free. Meaning she is a very strong unit to play early as she will not be killed by any of those 40 dmg ss that are commonly seen in the first slot, as well as potentially getting in a free iczer if one can wipe the field with their own first ss triggering. She has 20 hp, and well one honestly shouldn’t be too bothered about it, since it becomes quite clear that sins are doomed to live with 30 hp or lower generally. Instead one can use this to their advantage, by using her with Ex Lelein, but I will talk about that more in her info. Marchare also has the additional ability to focus her, which allows her to perform a double atk next turn with her auto skill. With her capabilities one probably won’t be hitting rest on her, instead opting to go atk, iczer, or focus her. In most cases she will be the unit that one should summon on turn two.

Killing Machine/ LeBeau: LeBeau as Ruki would point out, is fast as balls being at 5 agl almost no other unit will normally be going before him, and with 40 atk he is going to be doing some damage. The down side to using LeBeau, is that you have to deal with his auto skill where he hurts himself every turn for -10 hp, I personally like imagining that it is a nosebleed he gets from thinking about Annarose’s breasts. Anyways this auto skill makes him a ticking time bomb since he only has 30 hp one shouldn’t expect him to last the entire game. On the Brightside his close skill makes up for it, letting him hit 30 more dmg on death. He is also has Slash as an action skill letting him hit an entire row for 2 sp. He is another strong contender for early play, and probably ideal to play him turn two instead if your shade gets backlashed turn one, or you find yourself playing against pixies.

Black Assassin/ Mulna: Mulna is our main support buffer, boosting another assassin’s atk power with her own. That being said she is a strong as heck for a lv2 with 40 atk of her own, allowing her to boost up units like Marchare, for her auto atk, and LeBeau’s Fast assault and Slash, while being able to take out enemies herself. She is at average speed of 3 agl, so on most cases she can get a hit in before dying with her 20 hp. But she does have another trick up in her arsenal, Miscorde her action skill that costs 2 sp, where she does her atk to a random enemy unit, and if it hits 0 hp or lower a closed enemy card will be sent directly to the cemetery. It is a very powerful skill, that is well worth the 2sp if landed correctly. Also note that it is random enemy unit, but it does not need to be in rng, meaning you could just stick Mulna in the backrow and use her action skill if you want to do damage.

Magic Doll –Augmented-: Now this card is the only main unit in this file that is not of the Assassin subtype, and the main reasons I have even included her is due to her help dealing with a couple of weaknesses the subtype has. For one she is a free revival card, and two she has a close skill that does damage if killed while she is disengaged. Basically this makes her a LeBeau that’s not constantly trying to kill herself, and does not cost anything to revive. This helps deal with files that have units with high agl themselves, or agl control, like Refess warriors, Pixies, Magic Dolls, Shrine Knights, and Wizard Kingdom. Because unlike those file types Assassins do not have good ways of retrieving their units from the cem (Cait Sith ss, Treasure Hunter ss, Sumer&Fellana ss), free revivals or revivers within or for their subtype (Sk 2, Elaine, Alleria, Sumer, Md Mobility, Md Undead, Md Aug, Dear Cattelya, Haste soldier, Ex Wiz Soldier.), or agl buffers/control (Sk 3, Belfyna, Mitzett, Elite Fencer, Mage Knight of Regus.)

Tech cards:
Crest Spy: The infamous Crest spy, yeah she is tech, and yeah she is part of the Assassin subtype. The reason for her being tech is due to having plenty of fights where you will not need to use her at all. She is here for a very specific reason, because she eats Lp, killing off 3 lp for 1 sp. She will make all those high lp files quake in fear, as they are unable to stop her rampage. Combined with Marchare they will be forced to field something to protect their lp, at which point sins have enough tricks to be able to deal with standalone units. For all those Mid-Big files that have fallen thanks to her, please thank NitroDino for giving me the idea of teching her. She replaces marchare for turn two if the opposing enemy has 12lp or higher, it gets more risky to play her if they have 10-11 lp. Oh by the way if you iczer into Shvara ss with her, you make it whiff, it is pretty funny.

Death Calling: Death calling is a great unit she gives the Assassin subtype open skill damage, 20 dmg open is very useful, allowing you to murder those squishy support units, or other fast units with low hp. However it must be noted that she requires another sin on field, either alive or closed to have her effect activate. She has decent stats with 20 atk, and 4 agl, but she isn’t just a one trick pony. She has her action skill Poison Wound, which sets an enemy to hp=10 and poisons them so they just can’t rest that damage off. It lets her laugh at high hp units, and allows for an ally to kill them off. Basically she is a sac unit; generally speaking one shouldn’t bother reviving her, unless her skill is really needed.

Ex Dance Macrabre/ Lelein: Ex Lelein got her buff to actually be a useful card in the errata, and it is a very important buff for the Sin subtype. Her buff gave her a new open skill that allows for her to swap hp of a friendly assassin on field, with a targeted enemy unit. Basically it allows for the Sin user to take advantage of the fact that most of their units have low hp, and lets the enemy feel their pain. Allows for the easiest way to set up Seria ss when combined with Marchare being on field, and also for LeBeau to recover his hp, and extend his time on the field. An added bonus is that if timed right you can counter a dmg grim, so yes laugh at that guy who played dragon breath to kill something when they have Allind on the field, while you play ex lelein. This basically makes her a lv2 Sakura that is not restricted to just characters so enjoy.

Warning Knife: Warning Knife sets a unit to max hp=10, boosts atk by 20, and agl by 1. Now in a sin file you benefit from both using it on your own units, and on enemy units, due to your units having low hp anyways it shouldn’t bother you, just do not do it on LeBeau for obvious reasons. Now the main reason this card is here, is so you can deal with undead tanks easier, such as Hellsmoke and Broken Virus, without having to rely on using Francis. As well as making units vulnerable to dying from LeBeau, and Md aug’s close skill, or ss. Allows for easy kills against standalone units as well.

Corruption: Much for the same reason warning knife is in the file, except this one does max hp=30, atk=30, def=0, agl=2, rng=2 basically this can be used to slow down fast units as well, and for dealing with those ridiculous high def units.

Common Cards:
Shade: Used due to being the standard open card for a lawtia rush, opening sac, and the ability to drain a sp if timed right is always good.

Salamander: Salamander is here so you can kill owl sage without needing another assassin on field; because yes, people return your lv3 turn 2 cards. Also for setting up seria ss as well in case the enemy has def. It is also quite strong and it is a rng 2 unit, so you do not have to clutter your front row.

Death’s Embrace: Used to drain sp for painful field wipes, and forcing people to sac units, as well as letting you slow down those mid-big files while you iczer the crap out of them and for dealing with immortal lycans or endgame units like Zug that live off sp.

Bitter Destiny: Allows to send those closed units that the opponent is sacing to the cemetary, to prevent from gaining their sp back or activating their ss. A successful Bitter Destiny is quite capable of changing a defeat to a victory.

Soul Skills:
Fog of Death/ Seria: Deals 20dmg to two random enemy units, and for each of those that hit 0 hp or lower, -1 sp next turn for the opponent. So potentially a -2sp next turn, which can force the opponent into sacing units they did not want to sac, as well as giving a field advantage. It is a very powerful ss when landed correctly, and sins can pull it off with death calling and ex lelein opens, warning knife or a salamander.

Dragon Path King/ Gafc: Does 40 dmg and -1 sp next turn, it is used to further disrupt your opponents flow, and has the benefit of having the -1 sp always being able to hit, with the added bonus of dealing dmg to potentially kill something.

Command Unit/ Violet x2: Does -2sp and retrieval of two random cards in cem, allows for you to potentially hinder your opponent even more in the sp game, as well as allowing the potential retrieval of open skill units like Death Calling, Ex Lelein or salamander, or bring back copies of md aug, and LeBeau. Please note that Marchare being ss immune makes her irretrievable from the cemetery.

Frost Sorceress/ Rasam: Engages 2 enemy units for 2 turns, allows for stalling to build field again, or to keep annoying units from doing their thing.

Death Dragon/ Zangadylan: Deals dmg 30 to target enemy unit, but gives the enemy 3 sp, but honestly if this activates you probably need to kill something, so you can combo this with warning knife or corruption, if they have not been used yet, for a guaranteed kill, to help push the battle back in your favor and hopefully pull a win.

Battle Replays:
This is the link the my sin battle archive
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14375

Info on other sin units, and match ups will come next as well as variations.

For any questions please ask in the comments, and for those willing to share other versions please do.
Also looking for a way to record videos without needing to buy more slots. Please and Thank you.

While I haven't really gotten more testing done on other variants (due to not really owning enough cards to try them out), and partially because the current build is pretty much the ideal version for a lv3 rush version of the file(In my opinion).

I would like to say this the file type has gotten me to 1901rp! and I just feel like adding in the win's and loses of the file type so far.
Image This is the first build that you can see at the beginning of the guide.
Image This is after obtaining Seasonal Marchare (so same as first build just more pretty)
Image This is the current build it has violet ss changed out of Cornelia ss.
Last edited by Aoi on Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
Aoi

Re: Path of Sins

Postby Malarious » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm

As someone who tends to enjoy the study of card games more than the grind of playing them, and a noted fan of Lawtia.. I would love an Assassins guide. The more info the merrier! Provided you cover the many sins and cards in such files, and why you used some over others. And subtle things like, why is there a salamander there? Just for owls and the like? Most people talk about magic shade soldier for his -1 sp, why did you opt not to use him? Etc

Wonder how much of this file is UD
Malarious

Postby Aoi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 pm

The salamander is there, yes for owls, but also as another way to hit with seria ss, since death calling and ex lelein need another sin on field, I can opt to use salamander instead if I feel a return is coming, or you know just to deal with other 10 hp units. As for Magic shade soldier its quite simple actually, I didn't have one.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby ForgotPassNotWorking » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Ok, get EX poison guy.
I like Alteil a lot! Alteil is awesome! HAHAHAHA
ForgotPassNotWorking

Postby shadowsketch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:00 am

I support this, I'm up for putting my data and findings after the egg event is over.
shadowsketch

Postby gadu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am

I think Salamander is better than the 20 DMG assassain who locks up your SP if you get caught on a bad turn and is terrible on the field especially in a file that uses so many RNG 1 units where there might on even be a space to put her.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby Aoi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:59 am

I wouldn't say terrible on field, since she is agl 4 with a 1sp action that does random unit hp=10 and poisons it. Would probably make Call rage about it being unfair to tanks.
ImageImage
Aoi

Postby Scientiafide » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:05 pm

For the first salamander, you're paying 2 sp just like the assassin >< Except you're not getting one sp back. Anyway, the 20 damage you're dealing with assassin is essential to work with Seria SS, as a lot of units tend to have 40 hp.

Scientiafide

Postby gadu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Ex Lelein is used for Seria SS. The 20 DMG Assassain is a mistake on average for a rush file.
Abuser Punisher / Callonia
gadu

Postby Khiruki » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:39 pm

gadu wrote:Ex Lelein is used for Seria SS. The 20 DMG Assassain is a mistake on average for a rush file.

Can't spam EXLelein. And 60 AT+4AGI with Mulna isn't half bad.
ImageImage
Khiruki

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum